Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Power of Names

Tehislreb Adzaens

Tyrian purple robes, silk at home.
Every night at 6 years old, a never ending library and golden staircase; an old book for a new adventure.
Heater, Hallmark cards, harrowingly clustered,
"Interesting," I say to my boyfriend, as he tells me again how much people are assholes.
Sedentary, once spry.
Listens to comedians on the computer, a new recipe for a diet I'm not on.
Rising out of bed, someday I'll
Every old stuffed animal, computer, heater, guardian horse on my shelf, bed
Brown shoes, baggy pants, tight shirt
Another plate of rice and fried tuna
Deer--often found in my backyard--found my tomatoes again
Zombies never scared me
And I never liked being called "Beth"
Energy can claim
Nahja, my former cat
See the moon and drink it.


Elizabeth Sanders

Every night I climb a never ending spiral staircase,
Listen to comedians on my phone, a new recipe for a diet I'm not on.
"Interesting," I'll say to myself, but
Zombies always scared me
And I never liked being called dead.
Brown shoes, baggy pants, tight shirt,
Every old stuffed animal and guardian horse, robed in
Tyrian purple, silk at home.
Heaters, Hallmark cards, harrowingly clustered and habituated--myself,
Sedentary, once spry,
Another plate of rice and fried tuna, adored by
Nahja, my former cat.
Deer--often found in my backyard--found my tomatoes again.
Energy can storm.
Rising out of bed, someday I'll
See my opportunity and drink it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not scared of Zombies either;0) I like your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Zombies, vampires, and werewolves are the only horror genre creatures I'm not scared about. Don't get me started on ghosts, though...

      Delete
  2. I really liked your poem, you came up with some really good, unique ideas for this :)

    ReplyDelete